Friday, August 8, 2014

Fear Can't Stop Me


Neither Augustus Waters nor I spoke again until Patrick said, "Augustus, perhaps you'd like to share your fears with the group."

"My fears?"

"Yes."

"I fear oblivion,"
he said without a moment's pause. "I fear it like the proverbial blind man who's afraid of the dark."
- TFIOS

Yes fellas. That was quoted from the novel that I'm currently reading, The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I started reading the book last week, and I can't find ample time to continue the story. Sigh.

Anyway, after reading that scene, I instantly researched for the meaning of oblivion. According to Webster's dictionary, it means "the state of something that is not remembered, used, or thought about any more." Another meaning told me that it was "the state of being unconscious or unaware : the state of not knowing what is going on around you." I guess the worst definition that I got said that it was "the state of being destroyed." 

I understand Gus' fear of being forgotten. Who would want to waste all those efforts that they've exerted to be memorable and remarkable? Who would want to waste all the things they've done when they were living? And who would want to be forgotten by the world that he/she used to love?

And, I understand Gus' fear of being unconscious or unaware. I remembered the time when I was at the hospital, totally unaware of the procedures and treatments that they've been giving me. I was half-asleep and I can see people moving. However, I can't feel what they're doing with my body. If you don't know what's going on around you, you might be considered indifferent. You might be called weird. They might say you're one of those people who always run away from fun.

Lastly, I understand Gus' fear of being destroyed. Obviously, yes?

However, I really LOVE Hazel's reaction with his answer. Again guys, I quoted it from the story:

"There will come a time that all of us area dead. All of us. There will come a time when no human beings remaining to remember that anyone ever existed or that our species ever did anything. There will be no one left to remember Aristotle or Cleopatra, let alone you.Everything that we did and built and wrote and thought and discovered will be forgotten and all of this will have been for naught. Maybe that time is coming soon and maybe it is million years away, but even if we survive the collapse of our sun, we will not survive forever. There was a time before the organisms experienced consciousness, and there will be time after. And if the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it. God knows that's what everyone else does." - Hazel | TFIOS

Who knows when we'll be dead? You  might die in as soon as possible, (GOD FORBID!) or you might live longer. We really don't know. Whatever good or bad things we do everyday, there will come a time when everyone will forget you too. You might be the best writer today, but your memories will die someday. You might be the black sheep of the family, but the next generation won't know that anymore. You might be exerting all your efforts to please the society, but time will come that they'll never care.

I admit, I also fear oblivion. I've been enjoying the comments and appreciation that I've been getting from my blog. I've been loving the friends that I've been knowing here. I've been trying so hard to post the best article and the most entertaining post for everyone to read. However, I have to face the fact that there will come a time that everyone of you might stop blogging. I might stop posting. I might be preoccupied by other stuff. My writing skills might be unused, my literary pieces forgotten, and my blog will be destroyed.

However, going back to Hazel's comment, we should bear in mind that everything will pass. Our thoughts might be important today, but will be forgotten someday. Our experiences might mean so much to us at the moment, but can be replaced in the future. Everything has to evolve. Everything will change. It's inevitable.

I'm not saying you'll went out of your house, so fierce and fearless, to break the norm and say they'll forget about it. What I wanted to tell you is to open yourself for new things and adventurous events. Savor the fun, the moment, and the joy that you have right now. Enjoy the freedom at your own risk. Be fearless in such a way that you won't be called a criminal. You only live once, fella. Don't fecking waste that one chance! :D





Love,
Huntress

No comments: